Market Los Angeles Brentwood clothing boutique women's clothing

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Spicy Lentil Soup



To say I thought this recipe was delicious, would be the understatement the decade. Well, at least of the week. A good friend who lives around the corner got a recent rainy day visit from me and my little ladies (we were on an earthworm hunt- those little buggers come squiggling out in the rain). It was 10 in the morning when we knocked on her door to find a delicious smell waft out into the drizzle. She quickly ladled this gorgeous orange soup into a jar, complete with "on the side" containers of cherries and cilantro, and sent us on our way. 

Around lunch I gave it a try. First taste: spicy, smooth (she did a full puree) and delicious. I tossed in some cherries and cilantro and the flavors exploded. The tart of the cherries with the cooling cilantro and spicy soup was off the charts. I almost called and asked for more, but instead I opted for the recipe:

*Side note, I tried a brown lentil substitution because they didn't have red ones at our local market. My soup was liquid-y where hers was a fairly firm puree- as in, the cherries didn't sink- not to mention mine was brown. I missed the delicious texture and color of my rainy day delicacy. Granted, my pal has mad skills in the kitchen, but I'm not exactly a tool puttering around stove (a step above that). We chatted post soups and think the lentil sub was the culprit. You can also adjust spiciness based on the curry powder you choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment